One of the major reason why most students find it hard to go study abroad is practically due to the cost.
But how exactly find this scholarship, apply for it and qualify for it?
The thought of obtaining a scholarship to study abroad appeals to some, excites most, makes many hit the internet in search of such seemingly endless opportunities to have a chance at studying outside of their country, still, many hesitate and prefer to stay in the comfort of their country, while the reasons are diverse, the most common forms looks like the following:
- The seemingly excruciating process of securing a scholarship, traveling abroad, securing an accommodation, financial implication, and the likes.
- Not knowing where to look
- Becoming disinterested/discouraged after failed attempts and much more.
Well, why the reasons can’t be outrightly discarded, they seem minute compared to the benefits one will gain by obtaining a scholarship to study abroad and practically for little or no fee at that. Knowing the benefits will go a long way in helping one person or another make an informed decision on getting a scholarship to study abroad, some of such benefits are:
Why Study Abroad
This perhaps is considered the greatest benefit of studying abroad because it’s encompassing; the opportunity affords one to experience things differently, change of scenario, exposure to a totally different culture, learn and refine foreign languages and experience interesting and educationally invigorating experiences. It steers one into a whole new world of endless opportunities and a whole lot to learn. It also helps to appreciate other people’s culture and way of living and value ones’, ones limited view becomes expanded, knowledge of diverse things increases and one views the world through a different lens.
#2: GIVES YOU AN EDGE:
The experiences gathered in a different country will always place such a person in higher strata especially in the workforce and academic field. It will strengthen ones cover letter, help such a person to ace their interviews and generally refines ones perspective and approach to real life situations and also gives such a good handle on presentations and speech-giving.
#3: ACQUIRING INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Studying in another country brings one in contact with several people of diverse color and race, sets one up in different teams and task-forces and generally makes ones interpersonal skills especially in terms of communication and cross-cultural more advanced which will be of great interest to employers, it turns into an asset especially when working with international bodies with diverse-cultural teas in the professional field. It projects one as adaptable, flexible, fast-learner, risk-taker and a change agent.
#4: CAREER ENHANCEMENT:
The experiences one garners in another country can influence one’s career path, either such a person discovers a new passion which could bring about a change in choice of career or it helps one enhance and advance ones chosen a career.
These are few but important reasons why considering acquiring a scholarship to study abroad will be of great benefit to such an individual and ultimately to his/her country or location of choice.
Are there Scholarships to study abroad?
Yes! Yes! Yes! There are loads of scholarship schemes loaded on the internet, in light of the fact that the word ‘scholarship’ is mostly used as an umbrella word, it is germane to point out that there are various forms of scholarships; as the word entails:
- Full/Half Scholarships: here, one gets paid while one studies, such a person do not work for money, the only thing such a person does is to study, also, all tuition fees are ones covered in the case of full scholarships while in half scholarships, a certain percentage of the tuition fee is covered which will be clearly stated in the application process.
- Assistantships (research and teaching): here, one work and studies at the same time, that is, one gets paid for the work that one does.
This is important to note and understand because it will inform ones search for scholarships. There are numerous websites to access in order to learn more about scholarships schemes and their forms of application, some of them, along with their distinctions are highlighted below;
List of Study Abroad Commonwealth Scholarships
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK (CSC) provides the main UK government scholarship scheme led by international development objectives. It is sponsored by the Department for International Development (DFID). The CSC operates within the framework of the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) and it is committed towards supporting innovators and leaders of the future from across the commonwealth which promotes sustainable development. The CSC offers:
- Commonwealth PhD scholarships (for low & middle-income countries)
- Commonwealth Master’s scholarships
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships
- Commonwealth Undergraduate scholarships to mention but a few.
As rightly pointed out, it is a platform that caters to all levels of tertiary learning; each with its own specifications/requirements. To learn more about Commonwealth Scholarships, visit cscuk.dfid.gov.uk
Mastercard Foundation Scholarships
The Mastercard Foundation program is aimed at developing Africa’s next generation of leaders. The program allows students whose talent and promise exceeds their financial resources to complete their education. The program provides financial, social and academic support to scholars. Financial support includes, but is not limited to, tuition fees, accommodation, books, and other scholastic materials. The scope of Majors and degrees eligible for the MCFSP varies from institution to institution. It partners with various universities and offers a wide range of scholarships to undergraduate (Bachelor’s degree) and graduate (Master’s degree) learning and also secondary school degree level is not excluded. Some of the schemes under this scholarship body are:
- African Institute for Mathematical Science. The official website for this is aimed .ac.za
- African Leadership Academy. The official website for this is africanleadershipacademy.org
- American University of Beirut. The official website for this is aub.edu.lb
- Arizona State University. The official website for this is mcfscholars.asu.edu
- BRAC Uganda. The official website for this is bracinternational.nl
To know more about the Mastercard Scholars programme, please visit mastercardfdn.org
The Chevening Scholarships is an international scholarship scheme which enables students with leadership qualities from 144 countries and territories to undertake postgraduate study or course in universities in the United Kingdom. Funding for the scheme comes from the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office and its partner organizations.
It offers a unique opportunity for future leaders; influencers and decision-makers from all over the world to developing professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture and build lasting positive relationships with the UK. To know more about the Chevening Scholarships, please visit www.chevening.org
Scholarships for Undergraduate Studies (Bachelor’s degree)
Most times, what one hears of are scholarships for postgraduate degrees but there are quite some for undergraduate degrees also (Bachelor degree), they are, but not limited to,
International students who demonstrate financial need and exceptional merit may apply for the International Cultural Service Program (ICSP) at the University of Oregon. Selected ICSP students receive a tuition-waiver scholarship ranging from $9,000 – $27,000.
- Clark University Global Scholars Program(USA)
Clark University offers the Global Scholars Program which are open to High school students who are NOT permanent residents or citizens of the United States, as well as U.S. citizens/permanent residents who reside overseas and will complete their entire secondary school education outside the U.S. A scholarship of no less than $15,000 (renewable, subject to conditions) and a guaranteed $2,500 taxable stipend for a paid internship or research assistantship is included with the award.
- American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship(USA)
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is targeted to high-achieving international students who are dedicated to positive civic and social change and who wish to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree offered at the American University. It is intended for students who will be to returning home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country. The AU EGL scholarship covers full tuition and room & board.
- International Leader of Tomorrow Award at University of British Columbia(Canada)
University of British Columbia (UBC) provides bachelors scholarships for talented secondary and post-secondary international students from around the world. The value of awards is commensurate with demonstrated financial need, up to full tuition costs for the relevant program of study, and living expenses.
- York University International Student Scholarship Program(Canada)
York University offers Global Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships, United World College Scholarships, and International Entrance Scholarships specifically for international students who would like to take a full-time undergraduate degree at University of York. The scholarships are worth $68,000 – $112,000 for a four-year degree program.
- Denys Holland Scholarship at University College London (UK)
The Denys Holland Scholarship aims to support undergraduate students from any country, who without the support of the scholarship would be unable to secure the funding required to study at University College London (UCL), and who can demonstrate their intention to make full use of the activities offered by UCL and the Student Union. The scholarship is worth £9,000 per annum and scholars may choose to use all or part of the scholarship to cover fees.
- Reach Oxford Scholarships (UK)
A number of Oxford colleges offer Reach Oxford Scholarships to students from developing countries who, for political or financial reasons, or because equivalent educational facilities do not exist, cannot study for a degree in their own countries. The scholarships cover university fees and college fees, a grant for living expenses and one return air fare per year.
- Westminster Full International Scholarships(UK)
The University of Westminster offers international scholarships for students from developing countries including middle-income countries who want to pursue a full-time undergraduate degree at the University. Full tuition fee waivers, accommodation, living expenses and flights to and from London. The scholarship will be renewed each year, subject to satisfactory academic progress.
- Melbourne International Undergraduate Scholarships (Australia)
The International Undergraduate Scholarships were established by the University of Melbourne in recognition of the significant contribution made by international students to the diversity of the University’s student population. The scholarship provides full or partial fee remission from tuition fees in the first year of an undergraduate degree.
- Australian National University International Scholarship (Australia)
The International University Scholarships are highly competitive awards that are open to first-time overseas students applying for Bachelor’s Degree Programmes offered at the Australian National University. The scholarship covers full tuition plus Overseas Student Health Cover.
- La Trobe Academic Excellence Scholarships for International Students (Australia)
La Trobe’s Academic Excellence Scholarships (AES) are targeted towards high achieving international students from all countries (except New Zealand) across all of La Trobe’s undergraduate programs. The scholarships are non-renewable tuition fee awards of $10,000-$20,000 paid across a maximum period of two semesters (or twelve months).
- University of Canterbury International First Year Scholarships(New Zealand)
The University of Canterbury offers the UC International First Year Scholarship to top-achieving international students pursuing an undergraduate degree programme at the University. The scholarship is currently awarded with values of $10,000, $15,000 or $20,000.
- Lund University Global Scholarships for Non-EU/EEA Students (Sweden)
The Lund University Global Scholarship Programme is targeted at top academic students who are citizens of countries from outside the European Union/European Economic Area (and Switzerland) and who wish to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree studies offered at the University. Scholarships may cover 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of the tuition fee.
To learn more about the aforementioned scholarship schemes for Bachelor’s Degree, kindly visit the website; http://www.scholars4dev.com/9252/top-10-bachelors-degree-scholarships-for-international-students/
Some others in this category are;
- ICSP scholarships
School: University of Oregon
Deadline: 1 Feb 2019
- Emily Boutmy scholarships for NON-EU students
School: Sciences PO
Deadline: 3 Jan,/ 8 Apr 2019
- UBC International Merit scholarships
School: University of British Columbia
Deadline: 15 Jan 2019
- International Ambassador scholarships
School: University of West London
Location: London, UK
Deadline: 15 Jul/25 Nov 2018
- American University Emerging Global Leader scholarships
School: American University
Deadline: 15 Dec 2018
- Holland scholarship for NON-EEA International students
School: Nuffic Netherlands
Deadline: 1 Feb/1 May 2019
- Online Tuition Free Degrees
School: University of the People
Location: any country (online)
Deadline: 20 Dec 2018
- Humber International Entrance scholarships
School: Humber College
Deadline: 28 Sept, 2017/ 17 May, 2018
- Denmark Government scholarships for NON-EU students
School: Danish Government
Deadline: Mar-Apr/ Sep-Oct
- Macquarie Vice-Chancellors’ International scholarships
School: Macquarie University
Deadline: 31 Jan/30 June
List of Study Abroad Scholarship Opportunities in Europe
Study Abroad Scholarship To Study Anywhere in Europe:
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships – Initiative led by the European Commission to provide funding for students all over the world to study in Europe at selected institutions.
- GoEuro European Study Abroad Scholarship – 10 individual scholarships of €2,000 for students enrolled in any eligible university in Europe, as well as two €500 Instagram prizes.
Study Abroad Scholarship in Austria:
- Austrian Government Scholarships – Monthly scholarships of €1,050 available for up to four months for international students of all study levels.
- Grants.at – A searchable database of scholarships to study abroad in Austria.
Study Abroad Scholarship in Belgium:
- CIUF-CUD Scholarships in Belgium for Developing Countries – Opportunities to gain funding to study in Belgium for training or research at master’s level. Open to students internationally.
- VLIR-UOS Scholarships for Developing Countries – Offering scholarships for students from developing countries in parts of Africa, Asia, and Latin America to undertake training, research or study in Belgium at selected institutions.
- Ghent University Top-up Grants – Scholarships for students from developing countries who are new students of English-taught master’s degrees at the Ghent University in Belgium.
- KU Leuven Science Scholarships for International Students – The Science@Leuvenscholarship is aimed at international students interested in undertaking study in Belgium at master’s level within the faculty of science at KU Leuven.
- KU Leuven IRO PhD Scholarships for Developing Countries – Open to prospective PhD students from developing countries to study in Belgium within the Interfaculty Council for Development Cooperation at KU Leuven.
Study Abroad Scholarship Czech Republic:
- Czech Government Scholarships for Developing Countries – Government scholarships enabling international students to undertake a study (at bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral level) at institutions across the Czech Republic. Czech is the language of instruction for most programs offered. 2018/2019 Scholarships are no longer available, check back in July 2018 for the next round.
- Masaryk University Faculty of Arts – The Department of Czech for Foreigners at Masaryk University awards four three-month scholarships worth 8,000 CZK per month for international students to study Czech language, literature, and culture.
Study Abroad Scholarship in France:
- Eiffel Scholarships in France for International Students – Open to international students at Master’s/PhD level wishing to study in France at selected institutions.
- Emile Boutmy Scholarships in France for International Students – Opportunities for bachelor’s and master’s degree students from outside of the EU to gain funding to study in France at Sciences Po.
- Foundation Rainbow Bridge MBA Scholarships for African and Asian Women – MBA scholarships for students from developing countries in Africa and Asia to study in France at HEC Paris. Open to female students only.
- École Normale Supérieure de Lyon – Scholarships to study one of the selected master’s programs at ENS de Lyon.
Study Abroad Scholarship in Greece:
- Greek Government Scholarships for Foreign Students – More than 50 scholarships for international students wishing to undertake undergraduate or postgraduate study or a research project in host universities and institutions across Greece. (Website is in Greek).
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki – Scholarships for international students to study in Greece at all study levels at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
Study Abroad Scholarship Hungary:
- Hungarian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students – Scholarships for international students to study in Hungary, funded by the Hungarian government. Open to students of master’s degrees in rural development and agribusiness, horticulture and agricultural water management.
- The Stipendium Hungaricum – Provides scholarships which cover tuition fees, medical insurance, accommodation and a monthly stipend for citizens of partner countries to study in Hungary at either bachelor’s or master’s level.
Study Abroad Scholarship Ireland:
- Dublin Institute of Technology Centenary Scholarship Programme – Scholarships are available for students from any non-EU/EEA country to study a master’s degree at Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT).
- Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships – Scholarships awarded to high-caliber students from non-EU/EEA countries to study in Ireland for one year, amounting to €10,000.
- NUI Galway International Student Scholarships – Merit-based scholarships are available for international students at all study levels, and there also country-specific options for students from China, India, Malaysia, Indonesia or the US.
- Trinity College London International Scholarships – Various scholarships are available for all study levels, some aimed at students from particular countries (for example, the Claddagh Scholarship Programme is aimed at Chinese postgraduates, and the USA Undergraduate Scholarships).
Study Abroad Scholarship Italy:
- Bocconi Scholarships in Italy for International Students – Scholarships for international students to study a Master of Science program at Bocconi University. Includes a full tuition waiver.
- Italian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students – Scholarships for international students at all degree levels to study in Italy at various public institutions. Also open to Italian citizens living abroad (IRE).
- CICOPS Scholarships for Developing Countries – Scholarships from the University of Pavia (UNIPV), open to international students from developing countries to carry out research in collaboration with a professor. You must have an invitation letter from a professor to apply.
- University of Bologna Study Grants for International Students – Funding opportunities for international students at bachelor’s and master’s level to study in Italy at the University of Bologna.
- University of Naples Federico II Scholarship Program – Scholarships for international degree courses at the University of Naples Federico II. 25 scholarships are available in total.
Study Abroad Scholarship in Netherlands:
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for Excellent International Students – Merit-based scholarships to study in the Netherlands at the University of Amsterdam. Open to talented master’s degree students from outside the EU or EEA.
- Anne van den Ban Scholarships for Developing Countries at Wageningen University – Scholarships for international students from developing countries to study agriculture, food or environment-related programs at master’s level at Wageningen University. Sponsored by the Anne van den Ban Fund.
- Eric Bleumink Fund Scholarships at the University of Groningen – Open to all master’s level international students undertaking further study in the Netherlands at the University of Groningen.
- Holland Scholarship – Available for non-EEA international students to study at participating universities in the Netherlands at bachelor’s or master’s level.
- Leiden University Excellence Scholarships (LExS) – Merit-based scholarships for master’s degree (MA/MSc/LLM) students at Leiden University in the Netherlands. Not available to EU/EEA students.
- Netherlands Fellowship Programmes (NFP) – Government-funded international scholarships to study in the Netherlands on a short course, master’s or PhD. Prioritized candidates include female applicants and applicants from sub-Saharan Africa.
- Orange Tulip Scholarship Programme – Nuffic-funded scholarships for students from developing countries in Asia and Latin America, including China, Indonesia, South Korea, Mexico, and Brazil, to study in the Netherlands.
- Radboud Scholarship Programme – Scholarship opportunities for non-EEA students to study an English-taught master’s degree at Radboud University in Nijmegen, Netherlands.
- UM High Potential Scholarships for International Students – Merit-based scholarships for international students to study in the Netherlands at master’s level at Maastricht University. Only open to students from outside of the EU/EEA.
- University of Twente Scholarships (UTS) – International scholarships to study in the Netherlands on a selected master’s program at the University of Twente. Available for all students, both in and outside the EU.
- VU Fellowship Programme (VUFP) – Scholarships for talented students to study a selection of English-taught master’s programs at VU University Amsterdam. Only for students who are not of Dutch nationality.
- World Citizen Talent Scholarship for International Students – Merit-based scholarships to study in the Netherlands offered by The Hague University of Applied Sciences. Open to master’s students from outside the Netherlands.
Study Abroad Scholarship in Slovakia:
- Slovak Government Scholarships for Selected Developing Countries – Government-funded international scholarships for students from developing countries to pursue higher education in Slovakia at any degree level. Open to students from selected countries within the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Asia.
Study Abroad Scholarship in Spain:
- GSE Scholarships – All master’s applicants are automatically considered for scholarships based on academic excellence at Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Zaragoza Logistics Center – Various scholarships for admitted students of master’s of logistics and related courses at this research institute, including scholarships for African students.
- Spanish Studies Abroad – Scholarships to study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country, including a diversity scholarship for underrepresented students.
Study Abroad Scholarship in Switzerland:
- ETH Zurich Excellence Masters Scholarship Program – Merit-based scholarships are available to students who wish to pursue their master’s degree at ETH Zurich.
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists – Merit-based scholarship opportunities for international students undertaking postgraduate-level study in Switzerland at selected institutions.
- UNU Fellowship in International Organizations MBA Merit Scholarships – Scholarships to study in Switzerland at the University of Geneva on an MBA program. Open to mid-career professionals from developing countries only.
The information shared above will serve as a guideline to exploring the limitless world of study abroad scholarships provided by various organizations, bodies, and schools.